The school initially started in Green Valley in the houses of Mr. James Swynenberg and Col. U. Sherring on 10th July 1990. On July 11th 1994, the school shifted to the present address. Classes were held in temporary sheds. The year 1993, saw the birth of Grace Childrens’ Residence with seven children in it. By the end of 1997, the main buildings were completed. The office and some classes shifted to the new building, and the school received composite affiliation to CBSE. The year 1999, saw the first batch of class X students appearing for board exams. They all passed with flying colors. The first batch of class XII also passed in March 2002 with flying colors. The first phase of Grace came to an end, when Dr. David G. Fiol, the Founding Principal, handed over charge to his successor, Mr. Benjamin Newton on 1st April 2000. One cannot forget the grace of God and the tireless efforts of all the society members who sacrificed their time for bringing this school to where it stands. The school has over the period been growing and the Lord has been blessing it. From 1990 up to today it humbly acknowledges the blessing and grace of the Almighty God.
Grace Academy is a school that is different from other schools. Its board and administration stress:
- A high standard of academics in English medium
- A disciplined and well mannered student body
- A trained staff with a professional outlook
- A balanced emphasis on academic, sporting and extra-curricular excellence
- A view of learners as individually unique and valuable
- The all-round development of the person
- Top-notch facilities that are aesthetically pleasing and functional, but not extravagant.
These emphasis characterize some of the top schools of the country. So is Grace Academy still different from these schools? Is there something more? The answer is yes! That something more is a viewpoint, an attitude that is missing in most schools. At Grace Academy we look at everything differently: the student, the teacher, the curriculum or syllabus, the administration, and how all this “education” relates to the wider world beyond the school. The basis of this viewpoint or attitude is the Holy Bible. This sacred book shows us who we are and what our relationship with God is and should be, gives us objective standards for our behaviour, lends dignity to our treatment of one another, provides motivation for personal excellence, makes the syllabus exciting as it gives a reference point for all subjects, and then encourages us to apply this viewpoint to the rest of life. A campus where all these things are woven together into the fabric of a fine educational plan and the campus is characterized by learning, by peace, by joy, by lasting friendships. It is an academy of grace.
- Commitment and devotion to Lord Jesus Christ the Master Teacher.
- Gracefulness as modeled by the Lord Jesus Christ and described in the Holy Bible.
- Respect and acceptance of every person as created in God’s image.
- Education as preparation for service to mankind.
- Being a community showing appreciation and support
- Acceptance of critical analysis of self and others without prejudice.
- Development of cordial and favorable atmosphere for teaching and learning.
- Integrity and transparency in dealings.
- Love for the country and appreciation for all that is good and noble in culture.
- All round excellence.
- The motto of Grace Academy is “Acquire Knowledge: Walk Worthy” taken from the Holy Bible (NASV), Colossians Chapter 1 verses 9 & 10
- Vs. 9 – For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
- Vs. 10 – so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
Acquire Knowledge (“Increasing in” and “Filled with”)
- of God, His will, our relationship to Him and to one another – i.e. Value education based on the Holy Bible, purpose and right conduct.
- of the world that He has made, i.e. the Natural Sciences, Social Science, Commerce, Humanities, etc.
“Walk Worthy” (according to the Knowledge Acquired)
- of the Lord Jesus Christ
- of parents and family
- of your Nation
- of your identity as a “global citizen”
- of Useful and Productive skills.