Study permit: Who can apply
Generally, you must apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. Some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada. In some cases, you can apply when you arrive in Canada at the port of entry. Make sure you understand which option is available to you.
Get your documents ready
When you apply, you should submit
- a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) you’ll be attending
- as many of the documents needed for a complete application as possible
- We won’t be able to finalize your study permit until you’ve submitted a complete application.
- Waiting to submit documents will cause delays in processing.
- a letter of explanation for any documents that are missing due to COVID-19
If you plan to study in Quebec, you must provide a valid certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) or your letter of approval for your CAQ.